US YOUTH CLIMATE STRIKE COALITION DEMANDS
A Green New Deal
- Transform our economy to 100% clean, renewable energy by 2030 and phase out all fossil fuel extraction through a just and equitable transition, creating millions of good jobs
- A halt to all leasing and permitting for fossil fuel extraction, processing and infrastructure projects immediately
Respect of Indigenous
Land and Sovereignty
- Honor the treaties protecting Indigenous lands, waters, and sovereignty by the immediate halt of all construction, leasing, and permitting for resource extraction, processing and infrastructure projects affecting or on Indigenous lands
- Recognize the Rights of Nature into law to protect our sacred ecosystems and align human law with natural law to ban resource extraction in defense of our environment and people
- A transition that invests in prosperity for communities on the frontlines of poverty and pollution
- Welcoming those displaced by the cumulative effects of the climate crisis, economic inequality, violence, and lack of opportunity
Restoration of Biodiversity
- Protection and restoration of 50% of the world’s lands and oceans including a halt to all deforestation by 2030
- Investment in farmers and regenerative agriculture and an end to subsidies for industrial agriculture
With the consequences of climate change becoming ever more clear and dire with each passing day, a new powerful wave of the climate movement has been swelling up over the last couple of years. Young people around the world have been rising up to defend our future, and have been going on strike – every week, all over the planet – for months. On September 20, for the first time, the adults joined us.
We, as a global society, are at a crossroads. We have a decision to make. Are we going to choose money or power or are we going to choose the future? The September 20 strike was an invitation to everyone to choose us. Choose the kids, choose humanity, choose the future.
Led by a diverse coalition of youth-led and adult-led organizations, September 20 was an intergenerational day of striking that will launch a new era of climate action across the world.
September 20 was only the beginning. We must carry this energy to the 2020 elections, and beyond to ensure real, bold action is taken to address the climate crises. This is history in the making, and it’s time we take back the narrative to save our futures.